Sunday, September 30, 2012

Black Mulch...the Gardeners "other Black Gold"

If your a gardener you know what "Black Gold" is....... right? 
Well, if you don't it's another term for COMPOST..... every garden needs compost. Last week I added compost and planted my fall plants.... well today I discovered BLACK MULCH! Wha? Black!? I LOVE the color BLACK!!!!! I LOVE Mulch too!
So here we again! 
I was thinking I'd better get me some of this Black Mulch....
so of course I did....
I picked up 8 bags at Lowes for $3.97 ea
it's frickin' BLACK!
All I was going to do was get enough mulch for the new plants...
nope...
I went all over the back yard adding the Black goodness...
Apparently Black mulch is a popular choice among many gardeners and landscapers not only for its style but also for its function. For example, black absorbs and retains sunlight more so than other colors, thereby warming the garden soil and enhancing plant growth.
(I wish I would have know about it sooner!)

It came out so great, held the water and helped with the drainage problem that we agreed I should do the whole side yard where I just planted the Maiden Grass...
Here's some pictures of the side yard currently with the new Maiden Grass.
It will grow 5-7ft tall
and remember this Before and After?
YUK! 
It was such a mess! 
I think the Black Mulch will look great along the side....
One more project to add to the list! 
We also added the roof to the Peacock Aviary today

It's at a slant towards the back of the pen so the rain/snow will slide off and drain down the hill away from the house and out towards the grass field. Living in Seattle, we obviously have drainage problems with all the rain we get, so we need to think about these kinds of things. With the 2x4 up and the wood angles, it leaves a triangle shaped air vent through the sides of the roof which will help with air circulation once we get the solid sides up, we also added a large 2x4 perch for them up high for them to roost on, they finally jumped up there once it was to dark to take pictures...
but here's a picture of our cool patio in the back...
once the grass seed grows in between the blocks it will be AWESOME!
You can see the Fargesia Rufa Bamboo with the Red Cordyline  I planted in front of the Ivy towards the back, right now they're about 2-3ft tall, but will both grow to 6-8ft. The Bamboo on the right is a Yellow or Gold I believe, currently it's about 6-8ft tall and is a runner so it should fill in that space nicely next year...look at that Black Mulch! Yummy!





No comments:

Post a Comment