Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Adventures and my Secret Garden

I'm slightly.... okay... I'm obsessed with my gardens...
I guess now that we bought our house and the yard is ours it makes it more important and meaningful. I want the best garden in the neighborhood, full, luscious and bountiful, a garden to relax and reflect in, to have a get together and BBQ, my very own secret garden that I can share with everyone.
 I can never have enough plants in my life, when I was a kid I loved exploring what nature had to offer me, following creeks to the river, adventuring across the farmers fields to their ponds, catching frogs and salamanders, climbing trees or ending up in nettles, it was always a great adventure that I enjoyed.. 
I dreamed of having a house with real grass carpet and moss walls...full of plants and animals, with a hammock strung up between two trees to sleep in, the thoughts of visiting the Amazon jungles would haunt my imagination everyday, I wanted to live in the jungle and live off the land...
I still daydream of it, maybe one day!

and now back to reality.....

So, while out grocery shopping...
I found some Cannas in the garden department, they were discounted because they were not very attractive with their ripped leaves and stubby growth. I bought all three and they are doing wonderful,almost doubled in size already! One is in my small water garden/pond/wash bin/ the other two I put in pots filled halfway with water on the front deck.

Small veggie garden is now planted:
 clockwise: Peas, Lettuce (two types) Thai Basil,Citrus Mint and Tomatoes (5 types)
Flowers are now blooming from the bulbs I planted!
clockwise: Sedum, Wild Strawberry, Lupine, 
-----can't remember the little purple star flowers name--- and Hosta

 Succulent, Iris and Daisy
I decided the (concrete) stone walkway in the back garden needed a good scrub on the the top and in between...
finally got all the dandelions, moss and grass out of the cracks, I power washed the tops and am very happy with the result. It's about a 30-40 ft path, I used my trusty hand hoe and elbow grease, it took about 2 hours, not bad... next is going to be a concrete brick wall covered in moss...yikes!

a little.... er... I mean BIG visitor..
and after a long days work I turn into a bunny jungle gym....
"Olive" is my dwarf, lop mix, she's really little, she LOVES feet, clean,dirty, hairy, stinky, barefoot or socks she'll take them and love them and bite them. She jumped back and forth, over my legs for about 20 minutes. It seem to wear her out as she flopped over when I put her back in her cage after she bit my toe, it's really hard to get mad at such a cute creature...

Oh... and I promise I'll write a post on the Beverly Hills art show I did a few weeks back....

No comments:

Post a Comment