Saturday, June 29, 2013

Building a stairway today....

 I picked my first lettuce crop last night!
Yum!
Citrus Mint and Thai Basil from the garden too, I added it to the chicken and made a delicious salad....
About a month or so ago, I put up a picture of a overgrown weed mess and said I would trade art for weeding my lower garden area, no joke, nobody answered so we tackled the job after dinner last night...
it's a large area that is our septic drain field so planting anything permanent won't work, I'm planning to have an additional, larger vegetable garden planted here in the next week.
Those are my child labor workers, working hard!
Here's it finished, it looks SO GOOD!
In addition to the clean up, I built some steps today leading down to the lower garden area, it's about a 4ft slope,also covered in weeds...
 this little black and white striped spider was helping me....

more of the process....
Below are finished steps, they look a little wonky, I'm going to do a final leveling of them when I get the ground cover that will be planted in between the steps and covering the bottom platform.
The concrete square covers the pipe that leads to our septic tank, so it has to stay. I also added the rock drain for excess run off from the upper yard, it will help slow down the run off and keep it away from the house, again it won't be so prominent when the plants get in..

No comments:

Post a Comment