Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dip Dye Bag -Thursday Tutorial

There's been a huge trend this year for a technique called Dip Dye
Anywhere form clothing, housewares to hair it's very popular, I've enjoyed seeing all the products offered in the market with this art form of dye. I remember going through a faze of dying everything black...
Apparently it wasn't a faze after all...
Today, I decided to dip dye some of my natural, canvas totes,
Here's the tutorial on how it's done, it's real simple and any age can do it.

First you'll want to gather your supplies:
* I used natural 100% Cotton-Canvas totes
* Trusty Rit dye in Black
* Rubber gloves (optional, if you don't want to get your hands colored)
* Salt (salt water makes the dye deeper and hold better)
* A place to mix the dye (I used my double basin sink) you can use a bucket

I mixed the Rit dye with HOT water and salt in the smaller basin
I laid the bags halfway into the mix with the handles sticking out onto the counter top
I let them soak for about 15 minutes a piece until I liked the color
Using a plastic spoon I made sure to really soak the fabric and push it into the dye, lift it out and let some of the dye drip out to determine if you need to let it soak more
I moved each bag to the larger sink to let the excess dye drip out and dry out a bit
I decided since I had a whole sink full of black dye I'd better dye some clothes too! ;)

 Here's the finished bags hanging out to fully dry
Once they dry I will put them in the washer with cold water (no soap) to rinse out the excess dye,
Once they are washer rinsed and air dried they will go to my printers and get my logo silk screened on the them!
Have you done dip dye yourself? What do you think of this trend?

No comments:

Post a Comment