Friday, April 14, 2017

Seed Collecting: LIGUSTRUM japonicum 'Texanum' (Japanese Privet)

I really like to collect seeds from various plants, I have three, two male and one female, Privet (Ligustrum Japanicum texenum) 

the female bloomed and went to seed, males don't seed but you need them to pollinate your gals, she'll bloom and seed.  so I collected the seeds that the birds left on the bushes.

Here's some stock photos of the Privet and what you can do with them, 
They are an evergreen so they keep their leaves all year.
Here's a LINK to some great info on these Privets.
 
They make great hedges...
 and great topiaries...
and have a nice flower, however some say they are very allergy prone to these, so be warned.
After blooming they get these black small berries (another stock photo)
 I collected my berries on 4-10-17
I like to leave them on through the winter for birds to eat and so they get their cold stratification. 
here are the berries that were left and that I collected
You need to get the seed out of the center of the berry,
(as with most berries like this, this technique will work on most)
 so I started to pull off all the "pulp" and put the seeds into another container, I then realized its making a mess, sticky and they were staining my fingers a beautiful blue/purple...
So I thought it would be better to soak them in warm water 
I didn't get a picture but the skins started to peel quite nice and if I squeezed the berry the seed would pop right out,
I put the seeds into more water to get the excess skin and pulp off.

I then strained the seeds a few times...
they got nice and clean and I soaked them once more, any seeds that floated to the top I discarded..
and here is what was left...
I'm going to soak them overnight in warm water and will get these planted in seedling pots within the next few days, you don't want to let the seeds totally dry out.
I will do another post once these get planted and updates will follow on the process!

Have questions or comments?
Leave them below!











No comments:

Post a Comment