Monday, April 10, 2017

Spring is here: New Buds and the dreaded leaf fungus!

I'm so glad Spring is here, bringing new buds and seeing all the plants emerging from the ground is a gardeners Christmas! 
however Springs warm, wet days and cool damp nights brings some trouble too....
the dreaded Leaf FUNGUS!  

My Japanese Loquat tree is the victim of it....
 See all those spots in the picture above? 
It's fungus....
My remedy (which I hope works) is the age old Baking Soda and Oil trick...
Here the recipe:
Per Gallon of water,
4 TEAspoons Baking Soda
2.5 Veggie Oil
Gallon of water
Add all ingredients together, shake well and add to spray bottle.
First your going to sadly cut off all the leaves that are infected, in my case all but a few were.
Put the leaves in a plastic bag and in the garbage, NOT the compost or food waste bin, fungus spreads easy and will stay in the leaves and compost. 
Spray the entire plant, stem, both sides of the leaves, every part that you can!
Including the ground, be sure to pick up any fallen leaves on the ground too, throw them in the garbage too!
Now hope for the best! If it doesn't work, then you will probably have to get some Chlorothalonil
I don't like to use chemicals if I don't have too....
I'll keep everyone posted with updates on the Loquats outcome...

On the Good side of Spring look at these pictures!
My Euphorbia Martini has outdid itself once again, it's already about 5-6ft tall with massive blooms! Can't wait to see how big it gets in the summer!
My Gunnera is waking up and leafing out 

The Bananas are growing quite quickly now that it's warmed up, each stalk has about a 5-16" new growth on it

I though I had lost this vine due to our harsh, snowy, freezing cold winter,
I was going to re use the bamboo stakes and the planter, when I went to disassemble it all, I noticed tiny green buds coming out of the vine...
 So exciting!

I wasn't going to have any "food" plants this year except my tomatoes... 
but I was given some Rhubarb plants..
Then it started... 
I went to pick up my tomato plants..and some cucumbers, and three types of peppers, then I found my lettuce, spinach and radish seeds, so they got planted... then my garlic I thought I picked last year started popping up and all the herbs too.... and I picked up a new Basil plant....
Well now I have a Food garden again....
I have Spinach planted in this empty space in front of the Loquat and to the left of the two Rhubarb (above)
I made a Cucumber trellis (above) lettuce and radish are planted behind it, herbs are on the right side.
The tomatoes are just in their starter pots for now, they will get in the ground soon.
As for the peppers, they're inside in their starter pots too, it's still a bit cold for them to be outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment